Monday 19 July 2021

Slow Wi-FI? This simple router settings tweak might fix it

Sometimes a little software adjustment is all it takes to fix your Wi-Fi problems.

I realized this much when I bought a brand-new router, a hulking monstrosity with support for the latest Wi-Fi 6 standard. What should have been a major network upgrade instead become a hair-pulling experience as I tried to figure out why its download speeds were so unreliable.

It turns out the solution was simple: Just change the router’s channel and bandwidth settings to avoid potential sources of interference.

Out of the box, most routers will select a control channel automatically. I assumed this would be fine because I’m in a suburban area without a lot of other Wi-Fi networks nearby. Interference can come from a lot of sources, however, and your router’s default selection might not be the best. With a bit of trial and error, I found a channel that gets me close to wired ethernet speeds from pretty much anywhere in the house.

To read this article in full, please click here



from PCWorld https://ift.tt/2VYB6Yk

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home